12 September 2006

Where were you?

Was just over at Ernie’s site and he had a post about where were you on 9/11.
Well I was late for work, no big deal at the job I had at the time. I live in Oklahoma, Central Standard Time. On the way the classic rock station I was listening to broke in with a story about a plane hitting the WTC. I thought, as most did, it was a small plane that messed up. By the time I get to work the second plane had hit. I run up the stairs to the control room and look at our encrypted CNN feed. I worked as a Broadcast Engineer at a major University Journalism School. Sure wish I would have saved some of that footage. I’m watching this thinking ‘Oh shit’. I go downstairs to the main office and am talking to people there.
A couple of Professors came in along with the Dean of the school. Somebody ask if we could set up a TV on a cart under the tree in front of the school so students could stop by and watch the latest news. One of the Professors pointed at me and said ‘If anybody can, he can.’ The Dean ask ‘Can we”. I thought for a second and said ‘Yes’. He asks ‘What do you need’. I went into Navy mode, pointed at him and others and said ‘You do this, You, I need this, You ‘ In under half an hour there was a TV under the tree in front of the school with CNN on so students could stop by and see what was going on.
I was in my office working on refining the setup so the librarian could set it when one of the ladies on staff came by.
She came into my office and said ‘I don’t know what to think about this, it’s got me so messed up emotionally that I don’t know what to do’. Still being in Navy mode, not by best response, I looked at her and said ‘I don’t have time to feel right now I will later’.
I still do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Beautiful posts Huj. It's good to remember to cherish every moment cause you just don't know when the next one will be your last.

12 September, 2006 10:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home